In the early months postpartum up to the first year, beets are a great vegetable in your postpartum nutrition to support vitality by replenishing the blood. Here is a recipe by Mamashine contributor Kate Short Lindsay using beautiful golden beets, but red beets are fine too.
Beet, Basil and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes (beets)
Yields: 12-24 mini sandwiches
4 pre-boiled golden beets (you could use raw)
fresh basil leaves
spreadable Chevre/goat cheese
1. Peel boiled beets by running them under cool water and gently peeling with fingers. The skin should come off easily.
2. Slice into “bread-like” slices, about 1/2 inch thick
3. Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on beet slice
4. Top cheese with a fresh basil leaf
5. Put another beet slice on top and voila!
6. Whisk olive oil and vinegar in a bowl and drizzle over beet sandwiches.
Serve with bread and other fresh ingredients like sliced cucumber and grape tomatoes.